Issues

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Philosophy Book Recommendations

Recently, a video was posted on YouTube of a respected Ayatullah from the Holy City of Qum saying the following

Do you want arguments; do you want evidence for irfan and philosophy from the beginning till_ the end? - Come to me! Philosophy and Irfan are nonsense. All of knowledge is in the Koran and the traditions.


Later on, we did found out what he meant exactly.

Anyway, I spent too much time debating yesterday that I didn’t get my daily reading done. And I don’t think I will be able to get anything done (for my blog) today. I am super-busy with my offline life.

Since we are on the topic of philopshy...
A really good philosophy book is Will Durant's: The Story of Philosophy.

I was at Amazon.com earlier to see if they are still selling an old philosophy book that I have on my desk. It is still available in the market and they even have a newer edition of it.

Book reviews (this is taken straight from Amazon.com)
  • I especially enjoyed the organization of the book. Each chapter covers a major topic
  • He divides the topics of philosophy into ten major problems in order "to bring together what each philosopher has written on each of these problems as briefly and concisely as possible
  • If you are in search of a handy reference work that gives fundamental summaries of the main theories of western philosophy, this book functions adequately.
  • Most of the major philosophers, or at least the major philosophical movements in history, are consulted for their theories on fundamental questions.
  • The book can be somewhat useful for those who want to familiarize themselves very briefly with the most prominent schools of thought - the Epicurean, Stoic, the Idealist philosophy, etc.

-ve reviews
  • The style and language of the book are also a bit dry and not very engaging. This book provides all-too-often overly simplistic, thumbnail, topical sketches of philosophical teaching.
  • The rendering of Christian thinking/doctrine is grossly--and I emphasize grossly--misrepresented (e.g. Christians, through grace, strive to regain their "lost divinity"--rubbish!; Abelard being posed as the progenator of "situtation ethics"--rubbish!; Augustine being quoted as saying that God "put" evil in the world--rubbish!;..)

I have also found an interesting book about Muslim Philosophers/Philosophy. It is online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?