Issues

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Sabians

The Sabians were followers of an ancient religion. The religion no longer exists in the world today. The Sabians used to worship the stars, planets and other heavenly bodies. 

In the Holy Quran, they are mentioned by name (of the sect) in verses 2:62, 5:69 and 22:17 (see the post on Mandaeism).

I have a number of questions about Sabians
1. Are Sabians monotheist or polytheists? 

2. What is the similarity between the Sabians and the followers of other religions from the past (i.e., Christianity and Judaism)? 

3. Do Sabians accept the Holy Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and his pure family)?

4. Do Sabians accept past prophets (i.e., Abraham, Moses, Jesus and others)?

5. What rituals or practices that is unique to Sabians?

We don't have a lot of information about this religion due to a lack of historical data. The wikipedia states a number of opinions from Muslim scholars (from the past), i.e.,
  • They are described as Greek immigrants 
  • They could be monotheistic in faith and resemble the Christians
  • They could also be polytheistic
  • They are originally from Iraq

There is a general misunderstanding among the Muslim about the Sabians. Many Muslims are told that The Queen of Sheba (Bilqis) was a Sabian before she converted to Islam and married Prophet Sulayman son of David (may peace be upon them).

I think it is a misnomer to equate a religion, Sabians (صابئة‎) (The Holy Quran; 2:62, 5:69 and 22:17) with a tribe/race in Yemen, Sabeans (السبأيون‎), without proper historical data.

The Holy Quran contains a number of verses that document the religious belief of ancient people (of Iraq) who lived in the time of Prophet Ibrahim (may peace be upon him). These people worshiped celestial beings (heavenly bodies), i.e., stars, moon and the sun.

[The Holy Quran 6:76] So when the night over-shadowed him, he saw a star; said he: Is this my Lord? So when it set, he said: I do not love the setting ones. 

[The Holy Quran 6:77] Then when he saw the moon rising, he said: Is this my Lord? So when it set, he said: If my Lord had not guided me I should certainly be of the erring people.

[The Holy Quran 6:78] Then when he saw the sun rising, he said: Is this my Lord? Is this the greatest? So when it set, he said: O my people! surely I am clear of what you set up (with Allah). 

[The Holy Quran 6:79] Surely I have turned myself, being upright, wholly to Him Who originated the heavens and the earth, and I am not of the polytheists.

Who are the moon and stars worshipers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?