Issues

Sunday, January 26, 2014

A comment turned into a topic by itself

I was trying to respond to a comment left by one of my readers here. Predictably something short should suffice but unfortunately it turned into a lengthy piece and I had to make a topic out of it.

My reader believe that two people can disagree with each other and have a healthy discussion. And he further believes that having a disagreement is a learning process to gain a much deeper understanding and insight.

I said “Not so fast”. Here's my comments to him which doesn't fit into the comment format.

I guess everything depend on the 'level of disagreement'. Most people don't have problem when you disagree with them about something very trivial or shallow. For eg. If you and your friend disagree about which soccer team is the best in the world..then I'm sure he/she wouldn't mind or even care that your opinion is very different from his/her. Furthermore, you and him/her can have a very healthy discussion on the specific details about both of the teams without ever jeopardizing or losing the friendship

But try disagreeing on very important issues or issues which are at the core/heart of the other person. Since my blog is mainly geared on religious topics, I think you would agree with me when I say that if you disagree with your Muslim friend with any of the following 'religious topics', I'm very sure there'll be some changes in your relationship with him/her and he/she probably will not look at you in the same way (favorably).

Interesting topics to discuss with your soon to be 'ex-friend'
  • Reject the whole concept of God. God doesn't exist. There's no Allah. It's all a myth and a fantasy.
  • Muhammad is not a Prophet of God. He's just a wise man who preach goodness but not necessarily a messenger of God because of point #1
  • The Quran however inspiring it is, it's just a book. It's not a revelation from God because of point #1 and point #2.
  • Homosexuality is alright. We shouldn't be forcing anyone to live according to our way of life based on scriptures because of point #3, point #2 and point #1.

Please report back to me on the result of this social experiment. I don't think religious people are very tolerant. It's always either my way or no way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?